Smoked Mackerel, New Potato and Beetroot Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
Ready in 25 minutes
I’m a big fan of hearty salads and this one is a real weekday winner. The buttery sweetness of the new potatoes adds a comforting contrast to the stronger flavours of the smokey mackerel, sweet beetroot and spicy mustard to create a beautifully balanced and satisfying lunch or dinner.
Packed with Omega-3, proteins and vitamins, oily fish like mackerel makes a terrific healthy weekday supper, with simple preparation and very little cooking involved.
Feel free to add in any other raw or cooked vegetables that you might fancy, such as tenderstem broccoli, avocado or asparagus. I love to serve this salad with a soft boiled egg as an extra treat!
200g of cooked smoked boneless mackerel strips or fillets
300g baby potatoes
2 ready-cooked beetroot
A packet of mixed salad leaves of choice (spinach, rocket and watercress all work nicely)
2 medium eggs
For the dressing:
80g greek yoghurt
1 flat tbsp of Dijon mustard
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tsp of honey to taste
1 tsp of chopped fresh dill
1 tsp white wine vinegar/cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisking until light and creamy. Season to taste.
- Cook the new potatoes for 12-15 minutes in a saucepan until soft enough to easily stick a knife through. Drain and set to one side.
- In the meantime, boil another pan of water on the hob and gently place the eggs into the pan using a spoon and cook for 6 and a 1/2 minutes for the perfect soft boiled egg that’s slightly jammy in the middle.* Remove the eggs and place into cold water to prevent them from cooking further.
- Dress two plates with the mixed salad leaves then add the beetroot, sliced new potatoes and tear over the mackerel fillets.
- To finish peel and slice the eggs length ways and add to the top of the salad alongside a generous drizzle of the honey mustard dressing and a little extra black pepper.
*TIP – If you prefer your eggs hard boiled, cook for 10 minutes. Also, if using large eggs, increase the cooking time to 7 minutes.