Supergreen Orzotto with Ricotta, Lemon and Pistachios
Ready in 20 minutes
Cooking for just two people, I often end up with lots of random halves of veggies in my fridge at the end of the week. Half an onion or courgette is a regular find in my veg drawer! This was the case last weekend, so I created a speedy supergreen orzotto featuring four greens to reinvent them into a delicious, comforting dinner that minimises food waste!
I’m loving using light, creamy ricotta at the moment too, which works best with other mild flavours like fresh greens, hints of lemon and the delicate nuttiness of pistachios.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can substitute any of the veg with what you have leftover, whether it be some tired looking herbs, spring greens or tenderstem broccoli, throw them all in!
150g orzo pasta
500ml of good quality vegetable stock
1/2 a courgette, grated or chopped into small cubes
100g green beans, cut in half
100g frozen peas
Two large handfuls of baby leaf spinach
1/2 a white onion or 1/2 a leek
1 garlic clove
125g ricotta cheese
Zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
20g lightly toasted pistachios
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large non-stick saucepan. Fry the onion on a medium heat for 5-6 minutes until soft and translucent (whilst this is cooking, chop and grate your green veggies). Add the garlic and fry for further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the orzo to the pan and mix into the onions and garlic, followed by half of the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Continue to add stock, one ladleful at a time, until all of the stock has absorbed and the orzo is tender.
- About 4-5 minutes from the orzo being ready, add the green beans and courgette to the saucepan, then add the peas and spinach for the final 2 minutes of cooking (we want lovely bright green veg when we serve up so don’t be tempted to overcook it).
- Once the orzo is soft, add in the lemon zest, lemon juice and half of the ricotta and mix together.
- Plate up the orzotto with the remaining ricotta, toasted pistachios and a few rocket leaves on top!